How to grant or remove a privilege to a user. How to use System and Custom Profiles of privileges.
This GroupCamp FAQ explains how privileges work in GroupCamp. How to grant or remove a privilege to a user. How to use System and Custom Profiles of privileges to manage user rights.
A privilege is the right to access a feature. A user who has the privilege has access to the feature.
Examples of privileges :
- Access to Reports module.
- Create and Edit tasks.
- Record time spent on projects.
Privileges can have dependencies between them. Granting the "Edit" privilege can also grant "View" and "Create" privileges. A window indicates the privileges granted if necessary.
The GroupCamp List of privileges is available:
- by Administrators in the Privileges tab of the Admin Panel with the List of privileges menu.
- by colleagues who can access the User window (with the Privileges tab).
See the screenshots below.
A Profile of privileges has a name and an associated List of privileges with privileges that can be granted or removed (not granted). Profiles of privileges are intended to be assigned to users.
GroupCamp provides a list of System Profiles of privileges and you can create Custom Profiles of privileges.
System Profiles of privileges are:
Colleague: all your colleagues must have this profile.
Project manager: assign this profile to colleagues who manage your projects.
Planner: assign this profile to colleagues who need to have access to all projects and all users.
Administrator : this profile gives access to most of the extended privileges AND to the Admin panel.
Guest: all your guests must have this profile.
Admin panel > Privileges > List of privileges
Profiles of privileges can be assigned to users in the Admin Panel or in the User window.
Admin panel > Privileges > Colleagues
Check the Profiles of privileges to assign them to users.
Privileges tab of the User window
The colleague has 2 assigned profiles of privileges: COLLEAGUE & PROJECT MANAGER.
For each privilege it is indicated which profile granted him the privilege. With the following rule:
When the privilege is granted in at least one of his profiles: the user has the privilege.
You can customize each user's privileges by granting or removing privileges.
With this feature, you can handle these special cases:
- All users have a privilege except Anna and John (Blacklist).
- No users have this privilege except Anna, John and Alan (Whitelist).
IMPORTANT: If you have a custom privilege for a user. Then you assign him a Profile of privileges that gives him this privilege. Then you remove this profile. The user will no longer have the privilege.
You can create your own Profiles of privileges to easily manage your users' privileges.
Examples of Custom Profiles of privileges:
- 'Resource' : users who will have this profile will have their work scheduled in the Scheduling module.
- 'Timesheet': users with this profile will be able to enter their time spent.
- 'COL-A' : colleagues who can only complete their tasks, view documents, enter their time spent, etc.
- 'COL-B' : colleagues who can create and edit tasks, create and edit milestones, upload documents, etc.
A mix of all this, and of course, use custom user privileges to handle special cases.
We will create 2 profiles to differentiate the use of Tasks application.
1) Go in Panneau Admin panel > Privileges > Profiles.
Create 2 profiles for your colleagues (COL-A et COL-B in our example).
2) Always in the Privileges tab, go in the List of privileges menu
We will remove privileges on the Colleague profile that is valid for all colleagues and grant them on the two new profiles.
In our example: colleagues who only have the COLLEAGUE profile can only SEE the tasks (and add comments).
3) Then go to the Colleagues menu to assign the new profiles.
Colleagues selected as Project Leaders in the Project Settings window have additional privileges only for the project.