Manage categories in GroupCamp
In GroupCamp, managing categories can be done in a single pop-up window that administrators and/or management team members can access. This acticle explains you how to manage Group and Time categories.
In this article, you will learn how to:
Note: Types of categories and number of available categories depends on your current GroupCamp plan. Please refer to the Plans & Quotas icon located in the Admin Panel for more information.
In the Admin panel, click on the Categories icon.
By default, the privilege is set to Administrators. You can select a Management team to be responsible for managing categories.
Enable or disable this feature. See below for group categories usage.
This feature is always enabled. See below for time categories usage.
Manage categories button
Open the "Manage categories" window.
Group categories let you consolidate groups of the same type. Group categories are primarily used as filters for different reports offered by GroupCamp.
Examples of project groups: differentiate between internal projects by their nature or service; differentiate between kinds of client projects: type of project and/or type of client.
To assign a group category, edit the group settings and jump to the Group category field.
Manage group categories
1. The first option allows you to make group categories mandatory when setting up a new group.
Please note that the same feature is also available in the settings of each type of group. Icons Intranets settings, Extranets settings and Projects settings in the Admin panel.
In the Settings tab of these icons, jump to Group categories.
2. You can rename, delete and sort categories.
You cannot delete a category that is in use (assigned to one or more groups).
3. You can add a new category.
Use group categories in projects reports
In the Reports application of the cross-project dashboard, you can use group categories to choose which groups to display in your report.
Project managers can save a considerable amount of time by customizing their reports based on group categories.
The Directory > Groups apps allows you to use group categories as a filter.
Time categories are essential in GroupCamp and can be used in the following situations:
- when recording time spent in a project using the Timelog application
- recording time in the Timesheet application
- defining a Budget per category for a project
- generating reports
Access Manage categories
In the Timelog and Timesheet applications, click on the More button to access the Manage categories option.
Use the Manage categories popup
- Administrative time categories are used in the Timesheet application and are generally categories or activities that are independent of any single project, for example training and travelling.
- Project time categories are used to record time spent in projects and are directly related to the activities involved in the project, for example Operations, Design, Marketing.
- You can make project time categories mandatory when users record time spent in projects.
- You can sort, edit, merge or delete time categories. You cannot, however, delete a time category when time spent has been recorded for a category. For more information, please read: Where do I manage Time categories for Timesheet
- You can add additional time categories. The number of time categories allowed depends on your current plan.
Note: You can restrict the use of time categories for each project. For more information, please read How can I restrict time categories for time spent in a project