How to import colleagues and organizations using Excel
This article will explain you how to import or export organizations and colleagues in a GroupCamp account using Excel.
Some features are available if the Organizations feature is available and enabled in your account. Please refer to the Plans & Quotas icon in the Admin panel for more information.
In this article, you will learn about the following items:
Available features in the Organizations app:
Step by step guide for import and export:
- Inital setup. Setting up organizations in an existing colleagues (with existing colleagues)
- Re-organize organizations in your account
If you wish to import colleagues, you can do the following:
- Add new colleagues (with a new email address)
- Update information about existing colleagues: First name, Last name or Organization based on an existing email address.
To import new or update colleagues, click on the + button in the top navigation bar, then select Colleagues.
The Add colleagues window will pop up.
Possible errors when importing colleagues:
All fields in the import file are mandatory
The organization does not exist
You may not add new organizations when importing colleagues. The organizations present in the file must already exist in the account
Size of the email, first name and last name field
Each field is limited to 50 characters.
Security limit is exceeded
There is a security limit of 500 colleagues when uploading a file. Please contact GroupCamp if you wish to go beyond this limit.
When an error is detected in an import file, that particular file will not be imported. You will therefore have to update your file and try again.
In the left sidebar, click on the Directory menu, then click on the Organizations application.
Click on the Import button
The following Import - organizations window will pop-up:
- Select the Excel file which contains the organizations you wish to import (please note that the CSV format is also supported).
- Check the box if you wish to ignore the first row in your Excel spreadsheet.
- The Excel file must contain only one column with organizations separated with ";"
- The quota for each plan is indicated in the pop-up window.
Click on Ok to upload your file.
Please note that importing organizations will only add new organizations present in the import file. Existing organizations will be ignored. They will not be updated nor deleted.
Possible errors when importing colleagues
Number of sub-levels is exceeded.
This error occurs when the import file contains too many levels of sub-organizations, which means that the maximum number of authorized hierarchical levels is exceeded.
For example: If one organization field is MyCompany;Sales; US Sales;California team and the number of authorized sub-levels is 3, then an error message will be displayed.
Number of organizations is exceeded
This error occurs when the number of new organizations to be added exceeds the total number of organizations authorized in the plan.
Main organization or primary organization is missing
Each row must begin with the name of the main organization at the beginning, for instance MyCompany;NameofSub-organization;Name of sub-organization.
Size of organization field
The name of all organizations should not exceed 50 characters.
When an error is detected in a file, that particular file will not be imported. You will therefore have to update your file and try again.
Click on the More button then choose Delete - Organizations
After the pop-up confirmation window appears, all organizations under the main organization will be deleted.
Click on the More button then select Export-Organizations or Export-Colleagues :
An export file in Excel format will be generated.
Format of the Organizations export file
The Organizations column contains all organizations, the Colleagues column shows the number of colleagues in each organization.
Format of the Colleagues export file
All your colleagues are in the main organization.
Follow the steps below
1. Create your organizational chart
You can set up your organizational chart by uploading an Excel spreasheet in the right format.
Please note that importing organizations only adds new organizations present in the import file. Existing organizations will be ignored. They will not be updated nor deleted.
2. Export the list of colleagues in an Excel spreadsheet
Once the file is downloaded, enter the organization for each colleague in the Organizations column.
3. Import the Colleagues Excel file
Please note that the email address field is unique for a given colleague. For each entry in the Excel import file, please keep in mind:
- If the email address of the colleague does not exist, the colleague will be created but he or she will not be invited.
- If one of the imported organizations does not already exist in your GroupCamp account, the import will be rejected.
- If you update the first name, last name or organization of a colleague, the colleague information will be updated.
If you need to significantly re-organize colleagues across organizations, you can follow the steps below:
1. Export all colleagues in an Excel file.
2. In your GroupCamp account, use the Delete all organizations feature.
All existing colleagues will automatically reverert to the main organization.
3. Create your new organizations within the interface or import the new organizations using an Excel file.
4. Update the Organization of your colleagues in the Colleagues import file.
5. Import the file with the new organization information.