How to set up Time units and the Work capacity of the users
This FAQ explains how to set up Time units and the Work Capacity of the users in order to use GroupCamp Project, Scheduling, Timesheet, Budget and Cost Management modules.
Time Units allow you to decide in which units Hours or Days you want to enter and display Estimated time (Tasks), Time spent (Timesheet), view Scheduled work (Scheduling), enter Planned budget work, valuate the costs of roles and users.
Work capacity allows you to define the working days of a week, the duration of the work day and limit time spent entered. You can define multiple profiles and assign them to users.
In this article:
- Go to the Work capacity icon from the Admin panel
- Select a time unit profile for your account
- Using the value of the Duration of the workday
- First day of the workweek: Monday, Saturday or Sunday
- Work capacity profiles. Default profile.
- Manage the Work capacity profiles
- Assign Work capacity profiles to users
- Customize the Work capacity profile of a user
Select one of the 3 choices.
- Decide in which unit hours or days your users will enter their timesheets. In which unit Time spent are displayed.
- Decide in which unit hours or days you want to manage the budgets of your projects, view the planned work and manage the costs of your users.
You have trouble choosing? Answering these questions should help you.
- How do you manage your budgets? In hours or days of work?
- Do you value user costs in Euros per hour or in Euros per day?
When the time unit of your budgets is in days and your timesheets are entered in hours. The value of the Duration of the Workday set in the User's Work capacity profile is used for the conversion of the time spent entered in the Actual work (Budget in Days of Projects).
When an Estimated time is recorded for a task assigned to a user OR a time spent is recorded in a unit (eg hours), the time is also recorded in the other unit (eg days) using the value of their Duration of the workday of the user.
When an Estimated time is recorded on an unassigned task (No assigned user) the time is also recorded in the other unit using the Work capacity Default profile.
If you change the value of the Duration of the Workday, this has no effect on already saved Estimated time or Time spent. Only future registrations will take into account the new value.
If you change the unit of Estimated time and Time spent (Hours -> Days or Days -> Hours), these values are used.
In the Work capacity icon, select the first day of the workweek. This day is valid for all users of your account. It is used in the Scheduling and Timesheet modules.
Depending on your objectives and the constraints of your business related to working time, you can limit the time spent. Some examples :
- Use a single profile at 5 days and 7 hours per day (35 hours a week) or 8h per day (40 hours a week) for all your users. In this case, adapt the Default profile. This profile is assigned by default to new users.
- Create multiple profiles and assign them to your users: 35 hours, half-time, 4 days and 7 hours a day, 40 hours a week, etc.
- Customize a user's profile (eg I have only one user who does not work on Thursday and Friday).
- And, cap the amount of time spent entered for each profile.
Each profile contains the following data:
Normally between 7 and 10 hours for a human. 24 hours is a possible input for material resources.
In the case where the time unit for entering time spent is in days: this value sets the maximum time spent that can be entered in days. Example: Duration of the workday = 7h, Maximum entry of a time spent on a day = 24h / 7h = 3,428 days
For each day of the week, enter the duration of the work, enter 0 to indicate that the day is not worked.
Example: For a half-time profile on a basis of 5x8h per week, enter: 8:00 = Duration to indicate the full working day and 4:00 to indicate the half-time days.
The entry of time spent is limited to 24 hours a day. For each profile, you can cap this entry for the week and / or per day. Cap or prohibit entry on non-working days.
In the main menu bar, click on the Users menu, and in the application, click the Work capacity profiles menu.
This menu lists the profiles of your account, you can:
- create a new profile,
- edit an existing profile (click on the Pencil icon).
In the editing window, you can:
- rename the profile name and change its code,
- delete the profile,
- modify the Work capacity and cap the entry of time spent.
The Settings menu of the Users application is used to list the profiles assigned to users.
You can assign profiles to users in two ways: in the User window OR via the import of an Excel file.
Go to the Import / Export menu of the Users application.
In the User window, you can customize a user's work capacity profile by selecting the Custom Profile choice.