How to prioritize project tasks? How to use tags to manage task priorities for projects?
This FAQ explains how to use tags to manage task priorities and how to filter tasks in your GroupCamp projects. Set priorities (Urgent, Important, Not Urgent, etc.), group tasks by function or by nature (Design, Delivery, Administration, etc.) or by product (Product A, Product B, etc.).
In this article:
- How to use tags on project tasks
- How to set priorities for project tasks
- Add or remove tags on tasks
- Filter tasks using tags
- Manage and merge tags
- Tags activation and privileges
Tags allow to filter tasks based on multiple criteria. Tags in the Tasks application work across all projects to allow project managers and project members to filter tasks across projects.
You may use tags for the following purposes:
- Define status or priorities on tasks (Ex : Urgent, Important, etc...)
- Group your tasks based on their activity (Ex: Marketing, Sales, etc...)
- Group your tasks by product or service (Ex. : Product A, Product B, Service C, etc...)
You can also combine any of the above usage:
A good prioritization benchmark classifies the tasks to be performed to avoid wasting time on minor tasks that can be carried forward.
If you do not have a priority repository in your company, you can use the Eisenhower method which has the merit of being simple and understood by all.
With this method, 4 tags are used to manage project tasks priorities: Urgent, Important, Not Urgent, Not Important. The notion of urgency is related to time whereas the notion of importance is a choice.
With just 4 tags, you can effectively manage task priorities for all projects by combining them 2 by 2.
- Urgent and Important tasks are to be DONE immediately.
- Not Urgent but Important tasks are to be SCHEDULED to be done quickly.
- Urgent but Not important tasks are to be DELEGATED quickly.
- Not Urgent and Not Important tasks are to be DROPPED because they are useless (Do not remove them from your projects, move them in a task lisk created for this purpose)
Edit the task or use the Tags choice of the contextual task menu.
You can remove an existing tag by clicking on the 'x' next to a tag (Or create a new one if you have been granted such a right):
You can filter tasks using tags by clicking on tag or by using Filters.
You can select multiple tags in the tasks filter window. Only tasks with these tags will be displayed.
Click on the Plus button in the Tasks app and select the option: Create, edit or delete tags.
The tags management screen will pop up. You can create, edit or delete tags.
To merge two tags click on the merge icon next to the tag you want to merge
Then select the tag with which you want to merge:
Your screen will refresh itself and the tags will be merged.
Go in the Admin panel,
> Click on the Project folder, then click on the Tasks icon.
Make sure that the Tags feature is activated in the Tags tab.
Select which users are authorized to manage and use tags.