How to set up your GroupCamp projects
This FAQ explains how to create and configure GroupCamp project settings. How to use fields, applications and features to meet the goals and needs of your project.
In this article:
- Copy an existing project
- Edit project settings - Privileges for editing project settings
- Project logo and browser Favicon
- Project Name, Project Code, Project type and Client company
- Project leaders, Project access, Project tags, Copy an existing project
- Assign or Allocate?
- Applications: Timelog, Budget, Tasks, Milestones, Schedule, Overview, Files, Wiki, Discussions
- Auto follow: be notified when a new item is created in the project
- Private objects
- Copy settings from another project
- Start and end dates of the project
- Constraints on task dates and milestone dates
- Constraints on the entry of time spent
- Dates du budget = Dates du projet
A project is a secure workgroup that contains applications and data accessible to its members.
Users can go to their active projects (projects of which they are a member) from the Projects menu of the main menu bar.
- Time spent saved in archived and deleted projects can be viewed in the Timesheet application.
- Other archived project data can not be viewed, you must first enable the archived project.
Note: a deleted project is not permanently, it is placed in the Trash menu of the Home > Projects application. Authorized users can permanently delete or restore it.
To learn more, read this article: Project Administration. List of active, archived, deleted and exported projects.
The creation of new projects is protected by the privilege:
Modules > Project > Extended privileges > Create new projects.
To learn more about privileges, check out this FAQ: How to grant privileges. How to use Profiles of privileges.
Use the + button from the main menu bar.
Give a name to your project,
The use of each field is explained below.
You can copy the settings and data from another project to use as a template. To find out more, read the FAQ: How to copy an existing project. How to create a project template
Editing project settings is protected.
- Project leaders can edit project settings.
- The Modules > Project > Extended privileges > Manage all projects privilege allows to edit the settings for all projects.
- In the project, use the Actions menu and select the Edit project settings option.
- In the Home > Projects application, use the More menu or right-click on a project and select Edit project settings.
In the project or in the project settings edit window, click the icon to select a logo or image. This image is used as a favicon, you can easily locate your projects among the tabs of your browser.
This feature can be disabled with the Look & Feel icon of the Admin Panel.
The Project Name field must be unique in your account. Choose a simple and clear name for your colleagues and guests.
The Project Code field allows you to enter a short unique reference for each project. Entering a code is not mandatory. The presence of the field is configurable.
You can decide the display format of the Project Code. Ex. [Project Code] Project Name or Project Code - Project Name, etc. Go to Admin Panel > Settings > Modules > Project and use the Fields tab.
The Project type field is a selector with 2 possible values: Internal project or Client project.
When the value is Client project, you must associate an Enterprise. The Client company is displayed next to the project name. It also serves as a filter in applications.
Colleagues who are Project leaders automatically have additional privileges for the project including: Edit project settings, Manage members, Archive the project, and more. Click on the (?) to get the list of privileges.
With the Fields tab of the Admin Panel Project icon you can decide:
- to make as mandatory field entry for Project manager #1 and Project Manager #2 .
- to use the Members with delegation field.
In the Project Manager 1 & 2 fields you can only select colleagues who have the Profile of privileges: Project manager.
There are two available choices for your colleagues:
- By invitation only: Only selected members can access the project. Colleagues authorized to manage project members can add or remove members
- Open to all colleagues: All colleagues in the account can join or leave the project freely. Open projects can be found in the menu Home > Projects > Suggested projects.
You can decide the default value of the field when you create a new project (By invitation only vs. Open to all colleagues): Go to Admin Panel > Settings > Modules > Project and use the Fields tab.
For your guests :
Indicate whether guests are allowed to be members of the project. This protection prevents one of your colleague who can manage members from inadvertently adding a guest.
To learn more about guests, check out this article: Share projects with your clients and partners.
The Tags field allows you to select one or more tags for the project. Tags are used to filter projects in applications and reports. Check out this FAQ to learn more: How to set up and manage tags. Use tags as criteria in apps.
In the project you can choose to use:
- The Schedule app and the jobs (The Schedule app is integrated in the Scheduling module).
- The Tasks and Milestones apps.
- None of these apps.
On simple request, GroupCamp support can enable the use of Tasks & Milestones + Schedule apps in a single project. To learn more about tasks and jobs, check out this FAQ: What are the difference between Jobs and Tasks.
Select the applications you want to use in the project and configure them.
Check out the following FAQs when you need to be guided:
- Timelog: How to set up the Timesheet module to enter time spent on projects and categories.
- Budget: How to set up the Budget module and the Budget app for projects.
- Tasks: How to set up the Tasks application.
- Overview: How to set up the Overview application and the Project dashboard.
IMPORTANT: When you uncheck an application, the application's data is simply hidden. Data is not deleted.
When a new item is created in the project, the selected members are added as followers to the item. The item is added to their Inbox apps and members are notified based on their personal preferences.
Check out this FAQ to be guided: How to manage new items followed by project members.
Private objects can hide applications and items in projects where customers are members. You can set the private objects of each project.
When private objects are used:
- The Overview, Budget, Milestones, Wiki and Timelog applications can be hidden to your Guests,
- dans les applications Tasks, Documents et Discussions vous pouvez masquer, à la demande, des listes de tâches, des documents ou des rubriques de discussions.
- in the Tasks, Files, and Discussions applications, you can hide task lists, files, or discussion topics as required.
To learn more about guests and private objects, read this article: Use Private Objects in a project with clients.
The Copy settings from another project button lets you select an active project and copy the settings from the Features tab.
Project dates are displayed in the project and in the Overview application widget.
When the box is checked, the project is indicated as completed. The Completed project status is displayed in the project.
Constraints on project dates continue to apply. See below.
You can decide to constrain the entry of task dates and milestones dates for project members.
You can decide to constrain the entry dates to record time spent for project members.
You can use Project dates to restrict the period over which the project budget applies. In this case the budget Planned work is compared to the Actual work over the same period. Check out this FAQ to learn more: How to set up the Budget module and the Budget app for projects.
The project Description can be displayed in the Overview app.
Regional options allow you to change the project time zone, activity flow language, and time format. The time zone changes especially when tasks and milestones of the day are late.
The Journal lets you know what changes have been made to the project settings and by whom.
Click the Admin Panel icon in the main menu bar.
Click on the Project icon located in the Settings tab.
The Features tab of the Admin Panel Project icon allows you to set the default values that will be used when you create a new project.
Existing projects are not changed when you change the default values.
Prefer to have the Budget app tab first in your projects? This is possible with the tab Sort!