How to start your online collaborative project
You've just created an account to use GroupCamp Project and would like some help on how to get started. Success in online project management also depends on how easily project members find their project items once they sign in. The guidelines below describes the key steps to be followed before inviting project members.
What is a project ? Do I need one or more projects ?
Deciding what you should put into your online project within GroupCamp depends on the answers to two questions:
- What content should be shared within the project and who should acces this content. Please note that members of a project can access all the shared data in a project
1) Enter key project deadlines and milestones
If your project was already launched and has key project dates (milestones), use the Milestone application to share these dates with all members
- Use phrases to describe your milestones,: « Project kick-off meeting » « Product presentation seminar »
- Set dates on all your milestones
- Select an owner for each milestone. The owner is in charge of all tasks related to the milestone.
2) Create task lists and link them to milestones
Task lists allow you to group your tasks by common theme or by milestone Example for the milestone « Presentation to Senior management », three
associated task lists contain the tasks that need to be completed prior to the event
3) Create and assign tasks in task lists For each list, enter detailed tasks. You can also move a task from an exiting list to a new list
Examples of tasks for the list « Presentation logisitcs» : Room reservaion
Conference bridge reservation, screen sharing for remote participants, Print versions of the presentation Detailed schedule of the presentation workhop including breaks and lunch
Once your tasks have been added, assign them to project members, attach files to them and set due dates. Notify project members by email.
4) Share project files
Share your project files within your project and attach them to tasks or discussions
5) Launch project discussions
Use the Discussions app to launch online discussions on project-related topics.
6) Start your collaborative writing work
Use the WIKI application for collaborative writing of your project documents.
7) Use Timelog for project time tracking
Use the Timelog application to have project managers log the time spent on their tasks. Issue reports on the time spent in your project
Start by entering a record on the time spent launching your online project
8) Create an announcement in your project
To greet invited project members, use the project announcement to display a welcoming message to project members.
In the announcement, specify the objectives for the project and provide information about the roles and expectations for each member.
9) Invite project members and kick off your project
Schedule a conference call (with Skype for instance) to get all members of the project on the same page.
With each member having access to the project, you can then present project scope, ojectives and key milestones.
For users not familiar with the project tool, give a brief presentation of the basic features of the online workspace. A project member who is initially guided through the project tool will be more willing to contribute and collaborate online.