How to use the budget of a project in GroupCamp
This GroupCamp FAQ explains how to use the budget of a project: Overall budget, Budget per category and Budget per role. How to set a budget email alert.
In this article, you will learn how to:
- Feature activation
- Time unit for your budgets: Hours or Days
- Set up a new budget
- Budget types:
- Budget display in the Overview application
- Identify off-track budget lines. Off-budget categories.
- Export budgeting data in Excel
- Display all your budgets in the Dashboard Reports application
Go to the Admin panel.
> Click on the Project folder, and then click on the Projects settings icon.
In the Settings Tab, click on the Project budget feature.
Decide whether you want to use budgets with your GroupCamp account and whether they are enabled by default for new projects.
You can configure a management team that is added by default to receive budget alerts by email (exceeding a percentage of the budget vs. time spent recorded in the project).
You can enable or disable the budget in the settings of each project.
In the Settings tab, decide who can manage the budget in the project.
You can choose the time unit for your budgets.
Click on the Regional options icon from the Admin panel. Then click on the Time units tab.
Choose which time unit will be used for managing project budgets. Please note that you can't have duration entries in days and budgets managed in hours.
The value of the Duration of a workday field applies to all users. This value is used to convert hour durations to days and day durations to hours. When users enter a duration, the value is recorded in both hours and days using this value.
The Duration of a workday value is used in the following cases:
- When the Time unit for time spent is set to days (d), if the user enter a time spent of one hour and half (Entry is 1:30), the input is displayed in days using this value.
- When your duration entries are set to hours and your budgets are managed in days.
Please note that we use the value of the Duration of a workday at the time of the entry. If you change this value, only new records will use the new one.
Once your project is set up, verify that the budget is enabled in the settings of your project.
In your project, use the Actions menu and select the Project budget choice.
In the Project budget window, select a budget type:
The Overall budget allows you to allocate a number of hours or days to your project budget.
The budget per activity allows you to allocate a budget line per time category.
Note: You can also copy the settings and therefore the existing budget data from another project: list of enabled time categories with their values. Please note that this will replace any existing budget data in the new project. Use the Plus menu.
Note: Only authorized categories for time recording can be used.
Note: If other time categories are authorized on which there are time records but no associated budget, those time categories will be displayed as being off-budget. To authorize other off-budget categories, go to the Authorized categories tab. For more about, please read Can I restrict time categories in the Timelog application of a project?
The budget per role allows you to allocate a budget line per users' role.
The project budget is displayed in the Overview application of the project.
The Overall budget is displayed as such:
The Budget per category shows time category budget lines.
The Budget per category displays the following information:
- Each budget line sorted according to your settings
- Time spent on each time category (as recorded by project members)
- The difference between actual time spent and budget per category (A budget surplus is shown in green. A time category that has exceeded the allocated budget is shown in red.)
The Budget per role shows role budget lines.
In the Overview application settings, you can define:
- The rank of the budget section in the page
- Who in the project is authorized to see the project budget
To find out more, refer this FAQ: How to set up the Overview application.
In the displayed budget above:
- See if you are on-bugdet (Green) or off-budget (Red)
- Same for all budget lines.
- See if you have Off-budget categories
In the project, click on the Actions menu and select Excel Reports.
Note: access to project Excel reports is protected by a privilege. To learn more, please refer to the following article: How to set up projects
Select your report:
- Time spent for project: one Excel line for the project.
- Time spent per category: one Excel line for each time category.
- Time spent by user: one Excel line for each user who has recorded time spent in the project.
- Time spent by role: one Excel line for each role that has recorded time spent in the project.
Select your time unit: hours or days.
Select the period and Weeks or Months (columns of the Excel file).
Click on the Excel Export button.
Important note: you can export your reports for all your projects. For more information, please consult this FAQ: How to use the Reports application for cross-project status reports
In the Project budget window, you can set a budget alert to be sent by email.
When the total time spent in a project exceeds a percentage of the budget, an email alert is sent.
Select colleagues you want to notify.
Please note that you can set a Management team to receive budget alerts by default in the Projects settings icon of the Admin Panel.
You can create customized reports with the Reports app located in your project Dashboard. To find out more, please read this FAQ: How to use the Reports application for cross-project status reports.