Following the launch of our new interface, the feedback has been great and we thank you all for using GroupCamp. Most of this week's updates come from your suggestions plus general improvements on the new interface.
- Project settings: we are changing the presentation slightly by distinguishing between internal and private objects,
- A quick access button to application settings has been added to projects,
- In the various project applications we have added an ‘All’ selection to make it easier to notify everyone on a project.
New design for project settings
When you add a new project, we now distinguish between internal projects and client projects.
With the launch of the new user interface there are now 2 ways of creating open projects :
- By invitation only: only invited members can see the project when they click on the ‘My projects’ link of the Project menu.
- Open - to all users, in that particular case, all users can see the project, they can choose to access it or leave the project once they have joined. Members who have been added as Guests will not be able to see those open projects(see below).
In the coming days and weeks we will be publishing detailed blog posts on some of the major features we have just released but for now here is an almost exhaustive list of what is new in the latest version of GroupCamp.
It all starts with the new UI
Please refer to our blog on the guiding principles behind the new UI.
The ‘Network’ sidebar menu with Profile and People
- New enriched profile page for users and guests,
- Customize the available fields in user profiles,
- Manage visibility or privacy of your profile information,
- The People app now serves a corporate directory. Invited guests within the app only see people within their own company.
- Please note that Members tab in each project has been removed. Clicking on the members of a project will now direct you to that user’s Profile page
Tracking pack and Timesheet app
- You can now grant access to Timesheet to users of your account even if ther are not members of a project.
- Access to the Tracking pack is managed in the settings for Users and Guests.
Global settings: project time measuring unit & timesheets
- As an Administrator you can set the unit to be used by all users of the account (hours or days) for all projects. This applies to both estimated time and records for time spent,
- The same applies for the Timesheet.
In GroupCamp’s latest version, we have grouped all settings in the new Settings page. We have also redesgined the way privileges are managed for each role.
The Roles & Privileges app allows you to manage the privileges you want to associate with each role (Administrator and Manager).
To access the Roles & Privileges app, click on the Settings link in the top right corner, then in the left side bar click on Roles and Privileges.
What does the new User Interface allow you to do?
In GroupCamp’s latest version, we have replaced priorities with tags. Tags as opposed to priorities work across all projects. Following this release, you might need to address the following items or issues.
Due to the fact that a tag is available across all projects, you might need to manage duplicates.
Also you may need to decide which users based on their roles are allowed to manage tags.
NOTE: following this update, only users with the Administrator role can use or edit tags. People with other roles (Manager, Users, Guests) do not have access to tags. This will allow you to manage and merge duplicates before giving access to tags to all users within the account.
Managing and merging tags
If you were using priorities in a project in the Tasks application, those priorities are now tags and therefore are visible in all projects.
So if you had a tag called ‘design’ in one project and another one called ‘Design’ in another one, you would now have 2 tags serving the same purpose and should probably be merged.
To merge tags click on the + icon next to the tag then click on the merge icon in the pop-up as shown on the first screenshot. Once you click on OK, a single tag is kept and can be used in all projects.
Giving access to tags in application settings.
Once your new tag list has been cleaned up, go to the new Settings page to manage access to tags by choosing who can view and manage them.
To manage application settings for Tasks go to the Project Menu in the left sidebar then click on Tasks.
Dear GroupCamp Users,
As you may know GroupCamp is getting ready to launch new offerings for the end of this year and we needed a new User Interface (UI) which would easily accomodate those new applications while keeping or improving your existing user experience.
We are happy to announce that the user interface is ready to be launched and this blog post describes the main changes in the upcoming UI.
1. Introducing the new sidebar on the left
The new User Interface has a new sidebar on the left. The project browing menu therefore moves from the top menu bar to the side bar (click on My Projects). You can also, if you are an Administrator or a Manager, create a new project right from the side bar.
You’ll also see a mention of ‘Open Projects’. I’ll cover this with further details below.
Please note that you can hide the sidebar on the left by clicking on the toggle icon in the top menu bar.
2. New Packs in the left hand pane (Network, Tracking)
The sidebar on the left is where GroupCamp’s new application packs will appear. So you can already see what will be the premise of our planned Enterprise Social Network offering (under Network) and our Tracking offering which is where we hope to bring tracking features such as Expenses and Project costs (on top of the existing time tracking features).
Following our recent release of the new Timelog and Timesheet application, many of you have provided very valuable suggestions and feedback. We have implemented 2 of the most common suggestions as described below:
- when editing the existing time records for a given week, you can now change the date using a date keeper (so you can move the record to a different date and not only to a different day of the week),
- Managing access to time record entries: you can now restrict access to time records so that a project member cannot see the time records entered by other members of the project.
Changing the date on a time entry
Next to the already entered time records you now have a new date picker icon that allows you to set the record to a different date.
The following pop-up window will be displayed: